Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thursday's review

     Hey guys. It's Caressa. I have a few things to tell you guys before I actually post a review this week. First and foremost, because my camera has entirely stopped working, my laptop's camera is incredibly out of sync, and I'm way behind on my word count, chances are there won't be a video or post on Saturday. I'm really sorry guys and I hope to have everything fixed by next week. Secondly, for those who follow my Goodreads, I'm super sorry for lack of activity. NaNoWriMo has been really hard and I haven't been able to read or update things as much as I need to or respond to emails. Second to last, I did respond to everyone's emails on Monday. If you have not gotten a response to your email, please send me another. Things have a tendency to get lost.
     Lastly, I need all our followers to give Rae a pat on the back for working on NaNoWriMo with her busy schedule and encourage her to keep with it to receive the print copies of her novels! Comments and encouragements mean the world to us. I hope you all enjoy the review!
Summery from Goodreads: 
"Nick Hornby returns to his roots-music and messy relationships-in this funny and touching new novel which thoughtfully and sympathetically looks at how lives can be wasted but how they are never beyond redemption. Annie lives in a dull town on England's bleak east coast and is in a relationship with Duncan which mirrors the place; Tucker was once a brilliant songwriter and performer, who's gone into seclusion in rural America-or at least that's what his fans think. Duncan is obsessed with Tucker's work, to the point of derangement, and when Annie dares to go public on her dislike of his latest album, there are quite unexpected, life-changing consequences for all three.

"Nick Hornby uses this intriguing canvas to explore why it is we so often let the early promise of relationships, ambition and indeed life evaporate. And he comes to some surprisingly optimistic conclusions about the struggle to live up to one's promise."

     First to clarify, Juliet, Naked is the draft version of the CD Juliet. 
     A great break from YA fiction. I picked this book up on a whim while I was on a road trip with a friend and found it in their car. The writing is cute, the story was slightly predictable, but it was fun, short, and simple as well. I was really disappointed in the ending, however, because the whole story seemed like it was about Annie, and while Tucker's plot was resolved, it felt empty not knowing how Annie ended up. Alone? With Duncan? With Tucker? In a small town?
     While I wouldn't go out of my way to get get this book, it was a fun, light read and perfect for the occasion.


Sorry for the short review this week, but I wanted to give everyone a review more fresh from my brain. Is anyone going to see Breaking Dawn's premier tonight (No hate, please)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment